The first snowfall is the prettiest! The garden beds are mulched and the patio furniture is tucked away. The squash and onions are stored in the chilly basement. The cold frame is built and the snowblower is ready.
As the temperatures drop, my oak floors are cold, even if the thermostat is set at 70 degrees.
Now it's time to transform my summer home into my winter home.
I'm all about Function & Design, beautiful things that work!
Five Beautiful Tricks to Stay Warm this Winter! (Tried & True)
1. Wool Area Rugs - this is the time of year I switch out my area rugs. Wool rugs are the best insulator. Price may feel like a barrier to you in the past, but as petroleum products continue to rise in price, natural sustainable products like wool are becoming more affordable. So treat yourself to the luxury of wool, your cold toes will appreciate it.
BENEFITS OF WOOL: Sustainable green product, No toxic chemicals, Easy to maintain. Warm, warm warm! According to Direct Build, Wool can have a R-value 2.1 vs. other carpets 0.7. A well-made wool rug will last a lifetime, Take care to protect the edges while vacuuming (avoid using the beater bars or set the vacuum on a high level setting).
NOTE: Be prepared to vacuum often in the first few months because can wool shed. It also tends to be much heavier, so a summer trip to the basement may be a two person project, if the rug is large.
An X-tra Cozy alternative: Underfloor heat mat that can be used under carpet or engineered wood.
2. Thermal Windowcoverings - Windows are a source of drafts and heat loss.
Investing in thermal lined drapes, to be drawn when the sun goes down will help keep your space cozy.
I switch out the lightweight bedroom drapes for beautiful thermal lined velvet drapes in the winter. When I put my hand behind them, I can feel the difference in temperature. They work!
An alternative is honeycomb cellular shades. Double or triple combed will provide the most protection from the elements. They also provide protection from summer heat and won't black-out the room like heavy thermal drapes. Like clothing, think in layers to adapt to nature.
For a super-sexy look, try faux leather drapes with sheers underneath.
3. Electric Fireplace - Treat yourself to a beautiful space heater.
Now, with gorgeous 3-D LED flames and adjustable thermostats you can enjoy binge watching with the cozy glow and warmth of a beautiful fire to your space. From wall mounted and modern to traditional, there are so many choices available. I absolutely love mine, which doubles as a TV stand and has casters for easy mobility. Easy & Affordable.
4. Ambient Lighting - Fairy lights, table lamps and candles create a cozier room.
Harsh lighting feels cold, bright white light bulbs shouldn't be used if you are looking to warm up your space. Find bulbs in the 2700K light spectrum (warm white). Strategically place your lighting to open up the corners of your room and avoid using the harsh overhead can lights.
5. Cozy Textiles - Switch it up for winter, Bring out the cuddly throws and pillows. Change the vibe of your space with luxury and warmth - Chunky, furry, textured - even Corduroy is making a comeback, - who knew?!!
Now go fix yourself a cup of hot cocoa and snuggle up!
Sheri Kaz Interior Designs serving Metro Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin. Call 414-897-7741 to book your personalized interior design or color consultation. Also available for remote e-design interior design services.
Comments are closed.
Color & Design
Transform Your Space. Creating inspirational spaces to work, live and play in.
Paint Color Consulting, Home Decorating and Interior Design for residential, commercial and